Friday, February 11, 2011

What colour are these eggs?

So exactly one year after we first created this blog and created our first blog post on February 6, we departed from Toronto to Christchurch. Logan at hour 22 in our travels


The view from the window of the plane...somewhere over the south island
So now we're here in NZ and absolutely exhausted. Carrying all our luggage and 2 children with us was tedious but it all went pretty smoothly. We're definately jet lagged and have been in a foggy haze the last few days, and I'm still in one as I write this but Andrew keeps yelling at me saying I have to get out of bed....so now some of our kiwi experiences so far...

For the most part Kiwi's are supa nice. A woman at the airport saw me changing Logan on the hard counter in the washroom and she gave me the sweater off her back to lay Logan on so she would be more comfortable. At the bike store, the employee called several competing bike stores to find what we were looking at, which I thought was really weird but awesome. The company we ordered our crib from (Mocka) came to personally (not couriered...personally) drop off the crib so we'd have it the first day and to welcome us to the country. Me and Andrew keep looking over at each other every time things like this happen (because they keep happening) and give each other a look and I keep shouting "what's wrong with these people?!" They are nice and friendly...how it's supposed to be I would think...pretty much the opposite of Toronto.

Weird things: I don't know what is up with this but I love chocolate milk, but lime flavoured milk? This seems to be normal, I see it in all the grocery stores and it's green milk and looks gross and sounds gross. Looking out your third story window and seeing nothing but treetops is also weird. There's just no high rises and it makes the city seem so much nicer and less cluttered. Andrew one morning decided to make us breakie: eggs and toast. Andrew put the eggs in front of me. I was like "um Andrew what colour are these eggs? They looks awfully yellow?", he responded with "they are fresh eggs shary"...amazing! They aren't even refrigerated at the grocery store they are so fresh. Oh and Mcdonalds eggs here are free range! Everything is just so backwards in a great way....well actually I'd say North America is backwards.

Cool things: Bare feet are everywhere: downtown, shopping malls etc. Right now I'm looking out the window and seeing flip flops that someone had taken off last night and just left there while they wandered around in bare feet. I'm sure he/she will collect them today but it seems quite normal to just leave your sandals somewhere and pick them up later.

Prices here are absolutely insane. I mean for some stuff prices are alright such as wood products. But for like everything else it's insane. I mean who pays $10 for a small bottle of Johnson's baby wash? Body butter from the body shop...$40!!!! We are definately going to be poor here but that's ok because it's beautiful.

Our apartment is great. It's a 2 bedroom and very spacious with a nice open kitchen and a huge shower.








It's still a little messy to say the least...

Palm trees everywhere yes!




We are now about to go on a 4 day road trip up to Abel Tasman National Park. It should be exciting and beautiful! Til next time...

-Shary

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!

    We shall now start saving our pennies so we can come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete